Laminate flooring (also called floating wood tile in the United States) is a multi-layer synthetic flooring product fused together with a lamination process. Laminate flooring simulates wood (or sometimes stone) with a photographic applique layer under a clear protective layer. The inner core layer is usually composed of melamine resin and fiber board materials.
Laminate Flooring Advantage:
(1) Economical. It have the advantages of costing less and requiring less skill to install than alternative flooring materials.
(2) Easy to install and maintain. Laminate flooring has grown significantly in popularity, perhaps because it may be easier to install and maintain than more traditional surfaces such as hardwood flooring. The wear layer of a laminate flooring protects the material from stains and some spills making cleaning and maintenance relatively easy.
(3) Versatility: Laminate flooring can simulate the look of dozens of different natural hardwood materials. The printing process can also reproduce the appearance of a variety of natural stone, and ceramic flooring materials.
(4) Durable and hygienic. It is reasonably durable as the protective layers and laminate technology, hygienic (several brands contain an antimicrobial resin), and relatively easy to maintain. Laminate flooring is naturally resistant to the growth of mold and bacteria. It can also be treated with special allergen resistant and anti-bacterial coatings to make them even safer.
Laminate Flooring Drawbacks:
(1) Short life span: The life span of a laminate flooring is going to be based on the quality of the material and the thickness of the wear layer.
(2) Environmental Concerns: Some environmental experts have expressed concerns over laminate materials that are made with compounds derived from formaldehyde. They claim that floors made with these materials can release volatile organic chemicals over time, which can have harmful effects on the air quality of the surrounding room.
(3) Refinishing: Laminate flooring can not be refinished. They have a single wear layer, and when that is damaged the individual piece needs to be replaced. Over time the wear layer on the entire floor will degrade and scratches will appear in the surface of laminate materials. When this occurs the entire floor will need to be replaced.
(4) Unnatural Feel: While laminate flooring can simulate the look of hardwood flooring, stone, or brick perfectly, the illusion fades as soon as you feel the material with your bare hands. While embossing can provide a textural surface for laminates, the material itself has a man-made feel that makes it obvious that this is not a natural floor surface.
Construction Chart of Laminate Flooring:
Standard laminate flooring dimensions:
There is no strict standardization exist when it comes to laminate flooring measurements. Every manufacturer produces laminate wood planks or laminate tile and stone in dimensions based on product lines, plank styles or design of particular tiles. But, even though, exact width, length and thickness of laminate flooring vary, there are few typical sizes of laminate flooring planks and tiles could be found at the local home improvement retailers or online flooring stores.
Common actual laminate flooring sizes chart:
|Laminate flooring type||W1||L2||THK3||S4||N5|
|Laminate wood planks||4-7/8||12.38||47-7/8||121.6||0.39||10||1.62||0.151||82|
|Laminate tile and stone||7-5/8||19.37||47-5/8||120.97||0.31||8||2.52||0.234||53|
|Laminate stair treads||12-1/8||30.80||47||119.38||1-1/16||26.99|
1W– actual width of laminate flooring in inches (imperial units) with conversion to metric characteristics (centimeters).
2L– typical length of laminate flooring in inches and centimeters.
3THK– thickness of laminate planks or tiles in inches and millimeters.
4S– coverage area by single laminate wood plank or laminated tile in square feet and square meters.
5N– number of laminate flooring planks or tiles necessary to purchase for an average size 10 x 12 (120 Sq. Ft.) bedroom. Parameter N includes 10% waste factor. Amount of laminate flooring to buy greatly depends on type of a product, room layout and installation method. Square footage of laminate planks and tiles which has to be purchased can be estimated with a high accuracy only after in home measurements.
Customized service of Laminate Flooring:
HOMEWELL is a professional laminate flooring China supplier, focus on laminate flooring many years, if you have any problem on that, our engineer will do best to find solution for you. Size and other specification can be customized according to requirement, welcome OEM products.